Today it is impossible to create a modern management system of a successful business without taking into account the issues of industrial safety. For many years the industrial enterprises operated on the basis of the so-called concept of “absolute security” of “zero risk”. The concept of “zero risk” provides functioning of an enterprise, in which the possibility of an accident is completely excluded. The disadvantages of the concept are extremely high material costs for its implementation, lack of preparedness for effective response in emergency situations, and principle impossibility of its performance.
To replace the concept of “absolute security” the concept of reasonably achievable level of safety came, or the so-called concept of “acceptable risk”, which proposes the principle of “predict and prevent”. This concept is widely accepted today, it foresees the possibility of emergency and respectively the measures to prevent its appearance and development. This concept was the basis for the formation of an international standard ISO 45001:2018. This standard requires the organization not only monitoring the occupational safety and responding to accidents, but requires a strategic risk management, which may lead to an accident or incident.
Risk management is one of the principles whereon the standard ISO 45001:2018 is based.
Meeting the legal requirements completes and connects occupational health and safety management system with the national standards on this issue.
ISO 45001 can be applied to any organization, regardless of product manufactured. Occupational health and safety management system implemented in compliance with the requirements of ISO 45001 confirms that an organization is aware of and control all potential risks, which can occur as in common daily work, so in emergent situations.
The standard focuses on occupational safety and health, also on continual improvements in this field in order to demonstrate organizational commitment to declared policy to the stakeholders and other concerned parties.
Implementation of the occupational health and safety management system will bring the following benefits:
- Compliance with the legal requirements regarding occupational health and safety;
- Improving of the safety at the working place and increasing of the commitment to the organizational values;
- Improving of the organizational performance due to reduction of accidents number and losses of the working time;
- Improving of the occupational safety culture, increasing risks control and reduction of possibilities of their appearance by identifying clear objectives and setting clear goals of the implementation of the means of control and distribution of responsibilities within the organization.
OHSAS 18001 workshops
- OHS-01 «Occupational health and safety management systems based on ISO 45001:2018»
- OHS-02 «Internal audit of the Occupational health and safety management systems based on ISO 45001:2018»
- OHS-03 «Methods of the analysis of hazards and risks in the field of occupational health and safety management»
- OHS-04 «The new standard ISO 45001:2018 «Occupational health and safety management systems. Requirements». Principle changes»