ARIS methodology was developed in IDS Scheer AG, Germany. Currently software ARIS is presented on the market of business process modeling tools, it includes several modules.
ARIS methodology was developed for:
- Solving problems that split up functional departments
- Responsibilities and roles clear distinction
- Understanding of the organization’s business processes
- Processes description establishment – Standards for organization performance
- Framework ensuring for business processes analysis and improving
- Organizational chart improvement
- Operational risks management
- Knowledge transfer and effective employees training
Existing standards and specifications for processes and data description such as IDEF3, ERD, DFD, UML, etc., were integrated in ARIS-approach.
Processes description approach based on ARIS methodology supposes organizational performance review from four positions: organizational chart, data (flows and structure), responsibilities (functional hierarchy), supervision and control (consolidated business processes models describing input and output data).
ARIS approach includes a number of different notations, allowing different flexible enterprise models development.
The most significant and practically used notations supported by ARIS are:
- Value-added Chain Diagram;
- extended Event-driven Process Chain — еЕРС and PCD;
- Organizational Charts;
- Function Tree;
- Product Tree.
The advantage of ARIS approach is in it’s complexity, which reflects in correlation of models described in different notations. ARIS methodology allows describing organization performance from various positions, and models obtained will be linked to some extent.
Basic used models in ARIS approach are the following:
- Organizational chart description;
- Risks structure description;
- Enterprise objectives description;
- All processes passing through the organization description.